The 3M Championship is a professional golf tournament on the Champions Tour. The inaugural year was 1993. It is one of 27 stops the Tour makes across the country. It is one of the largest in terms of spectators (over 100,000 for the week) and corporate sponsorship. The event has one of the best fields of players outside a “major championship”. Players who have competed in this event include defending champion Paul Goydos., as well as Jack Nicklaus, Gary Player, John Daly, Bernhard Langer, Colin Montgomerie, Miguel Angel Jimenez, Jeff Maggert, Rocco Mediate, Hale Irwin (three time winner), Fuzzy Zoeller and Ben Crenshaw.
The tournament is owned and operated by United Hospital Foundation and Abbott Northwestern Hospital, the two largest hospitals in the Twin Cities. Allina Health, a non-profit organization that owns and operates many hospitals and clinics in Minnesota, owns the hospitals. Tournament proceeds benefit different programs at United, Abbott Northwestern, Mercy and Unity Hospitals. In 2017, over $1 million was donated to charities as a result of the 3M Championship, one of the largest amounts contributed on the Champions Tour. To date, the 3M Championship has raised over $25 million in 25 years!
The 3M Championship has had great success with our internship program the last fourteen years. Interns play an integral role in the success of this tournament. Interns have remained in contact with the tournament and many have been hired to work at one of Pro Link Sports’ seven PGA and PGA Champions Tour events.
Interns work under the guidance of tournament staff to assist with various operational tasks and the special events occurring during tournament week. Each intern position is unique; please see the attached job descriptions for more details.
The work environment is fast-paced and demanding, but interns gain valuable experience in the fields of sports marketing and event management. Dress is business/golf casual. Interns will receive a stipend and the tournament will make every effort to comply with school regulations to allow interns to receive course credit. Interns will receive a tournament staff uniform along with other miscellaneous merchandise and tickets.
- Requirements: Undergraduate or Graduate Student, majoring in Sports Marketing/Management, Marketing, Management, Business or Communications. Must be at least Junior status at time of application. MUST PROVIDE OWN HOUSING.
- Computer Skills: Experience with Microsoft Office (including Access and Excel) and the Internet.
- Compensation: Course Credit as well as a $1600 stipend.
- Timeframe: Interns are required to start working full time June 5th. They should expect to work a minimum of 35-40 hours per week; 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.; Monday-Friday, extended hours as needed. Tournament week overtime is mandatory. Internships will run through August 10th.
- Deadline for Application: January 26th, 2018
- Contact: Jennifer Hines, Tournament Director,
- 3M Championship
- 11074 Radisson Road NE, P.O. Box 49785
- Blaine, MN 55449
- Phone: 763-783-9000
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
* PLEASE SEND RESUME AND COVER LETTER INDICATING WHICH POSITION(S) YOU ARE INTERESTED IN AND WHY YOU FEEL YOU ARE QUALIFIED FOR THE POSITION(S).
CLICK ON LINK BELOW TO SEE ALL INTERNSHIP OPPORTUNITIES
AVAILABLE FOR THE 2018 3M CHAMPIONSHIP:
2018 Internship Descriptions.doc